Editing the default Data Filter is limited to administrators. If you need permissions, contact your institution's Series25 Functional Administrator.
Data filters in X25 Analytics (previously called "parameter sets") narrow down the contents of a snapshot for use with reports, treemaps, and other metrics.
Using filter criteria you can fine-tune your snapshots in a number of ways:
- Remove outlier dates from a term (such as finals week or early-start classes)
- Limit analysis to events in specific buildings
- Set daily start and end times for utilization calculations
- Compare weekends to weekdays or Monday/Wednesday/Friday to Tuesday/Thursday
- Zoom in on specific divisions or departments
When you apply a filter to a snapshot, only events and locations matching the filter set criteria will appear in your analysis. If an event has occurrences outside of the date/time range, then they will be excluded.
Filters are part of the snapshot where they were created, so they cannot be applied to other snapshots. Copying a snapshot will copy the filters associated with it.
You may also configure a "default filter" which is automatically applied to all snapshots. This is useful when you want to set a baseline filter that doesn't need to be created separately for each individual snapshot.
Headcount Options in Filter Sets
There are two settings that affect how headcount calculations are made:
- Use Expected Headcount toggles whether expected or registered headcount is used to calculate enrollment.
- Sum Cross-Listed toggles how enrollment is calculated on bound events. If enabled, every event in a bound group contributes its headcount to the enrollment total. If disabled, only the primary event contributes.
MATH 300 01 is cross-listed with PHYS 310 01. Each has a headcount of 20. If Sum Cross-Listed is enabled, the pair of classes contribute 40 students to the total enrollment. If disabled, only MATH 300 01 (the primary) adds 20 to the total enrollment.
Choosing a Data Filter
To apply a filter to your snapshot:
- Choose from the drop-down menu in the breadcrumbs at the top of the page. (You may also choose "No Filter Applied" which uses the default filter.)
- After making a selection the page will refresh with filtered data.
- Your selection will be remembered as you move between pages.
Where do Filters Apply?
Filter sets apply to all analyses under the Metrics header on the left sidebar, including:
Filter sets do not apply to Optimizer lists and simulations, which are always able to process the entire snapshot.
To limit what is included in simulations, use lists to exclude specific events or locations.
Creating and Editing Data Filters
1. Select a Project and a Snapshot
Data filters are part of snapshots, so when you set one up it is unique to the snapshot where it was created. You can define a different list of filters for each snapshot. (Copying a snapshot will copy the filters associated with it.)
2. Visit the Data Filters Page
If you haven't made any filters yet for this snapshot, then you will be prompted to create a new one.
3. Create, Copy, Delete, and Rename
The Select Filter menu at the top of the page lets you change which filter you're working with. You can edit the displayed name in the box to the right.
You can Copy or Delete the currently selected filter with buttons at the top of the page, or Create a new one from scratch.
4. Set Data Filter Options
Select all options for filtering based on dates/times, locations, and events. See the page on filter options for more details.
Setting the Default Filter
The default filter is automatically available for all snapshots without needing to create any individual filters. This saves you time when you know that all your snapshots will share the same basic needs. You can select the default filter in any filter dropdown by choosing "No Filter Applied".
- Find the Default Data Filter area in the Projects tab under Settings.
- Choose the days, times, minimums/maximums, and other filter options you want to be applied by default.
- Note that some options available in normal filters are not visible here. This is because options like building names or sponsor organizations are tied to a specific snapshot.
The default filter options are saved automatically as soon as you make changes. They apply to all users in X25 Analytics.