Once you've finalized your classroom assignments and synced them with your SIS, the you've reached a major milestone. But the schedule isn't solid yet: departments might want to review the schedule and reorganize their offerings in response. Even later on in the term, instructors could go on leave, buildings could close down, or there might be other unexpected changes. As a term's schedule shifts, you need to shift with it.
Whether a class changes its dates in your SIS or you assign a new location in 25Live, LYNX helps ensure that the two systems are kept updated. Anything you do in one system is reflected in the other through a process called transactional updates. (So named because each individual change–a "transaction"–is updated as soon as it happens.)
Transactional updates follow a cycle like this:
- In your SIS:
- Update sections/exams with new meeting patterns or other changes
- Register students for sections
- In Series25:
- Import to 25Live (manually or automatically)
- Review errors and conflicts
- Update sections/exams with new location assignments
- Export to SIS
- Repeat as needed
Be sure to keep an eye out for Import and Export Messages. You can configure email alerts so you don't miss any errors.
How Updates Happen
Every 60 seconds, LYNX checks for activity. In order for a transactional update to happen, you need two things:
- An active extract set
- For changes in your SIS being imported into 25Live, you need an import extract set
- For changes in 25Live being exported to your SIS, you need an export extract set
- A change in scheduling data
Making edits on the following fields will trigger an update:
From SIS to 25Live
From 25Live to SIS
What Gets Updated?
Importing to 25Live
When LYNX makes an update in 25Live, it overwrites data that's already there. If there's a difference between what's in 25Live and the SIS, the SIS wins out.
There are a few fields which don't correspond to anything in the SIS, though. These are preserved during LYNX updates and not overwritten.
- Object Security
- Internal Notes
- Confirmation Notes
- User-Defined Custom Attributes (System-Defined attributes will be updated)
- Assigned Resources
Everything else will "reset" during an update.
Exporting to SIS
25Live allows you to edit many data fields, but only a few are relevant for sending data back to the SIS. This is what LYNX will export:
- If you assign a new location in 25Live, LYNX will assign it in the SIS
- If you remove a location in 25Live, LYNX will remove it in the SIS (this can be disabled)
- If you make changes to the meeting pattern dates and times, LYNX will make these updates in the SIS (may not be available for some SIS types)
LYNX will not update changes to other fields, such as a section's name or head count. If you make changes to these fields in 25Live, they will be overwritten with current values from the SIS the next time LYNX updates the section.