The Schedule Distribution report highlights the different meeting patterns present among classes in a snapshot.
Use this report to see the relative distribution of class/event meeting schedule blocks by day, start and end times, duration, and frequency of use; and the relative overall enrollment of class meetings scheduled in those blocks.
The report provides direct links to 25Live events so you can view the full details of each section.
Questions the Schedule Distribution report can help answer include:
- Are classes adhering to standard time blocks, especially during "prime time"?
- Are there significant differences in time usage from one day to another?
- How much variance is there among schedule blocks/class periods?
- What percentage of classes are in compliance with the standard meeting patterns in a predefined schedule?
- Where is there an opportunity for enforcing standard meeting patterns to improve room availability and utilization?
- The Schedule Selector at the top left lets you select a predefined schedule to see which meetings in this data set are compliant with meeting patterns in the selected schedule. When a schedule is selected, schedule blocks are displayed in green if they're compliant with a meeting pattern in the schedule and in red if they're not.
- The Day Selector at the top controls which days of the week are included in the report. Note that the report shows data from the entire duration of the snapshot, not just for a sample week. Click the days individually to select or deselect them, or click the preset buttons to automatically select Monday/Wednesday/Friday, Tuesday/Thursday, weekdays, or weekends.
- The Merge button at the top right combines the selected days and makes the report display the meeting patterns as a total across all days.
- The Compact checkbox at the top reduces the horizontal spacing between blocks in the report for a more consolidated view.
- The Freeze checkbox at the top changes the behavior of the summary that appears on the right when you roll your cursor over an area in the report. With the box unchecked, the results change as you move your cursor around. With the box checked, when you click an area of the report, its results are locked.
- The Sort Groups By checkbox at the bottom controls the vertical groupings of meeting pattern blocks and can be set to sort them from left to right by duration or by total number of events.
- The Duration Selector at the bottom lets you filter the data in the report by meeting pattern duration (in minutes). The durations present in the data set are represented as tick marks. Clicking and dragging the bars on the left and right side of the selector change the durations included within the window. You can also manually enter an upper or lower duration in the text boxes below.
Reading the Report
The X-axis shows the schedule block results by day of the week. Each column within a day represents a distinct meeting duration. Blocks are distributed from left to right for each day.
The Y-axis shows the start-to-end-time span/duration for a schedule block.
You can roll your cursor over day results (in a blank area) to highlight each column and view its duration and number of meetings with that duration. You can also roll your cursor over the corresponding tick mark on the duration column below the report.
You can roll your cursor over a block to see details for that grouping of class meetings. Click the name of a class to view its details in 25Live.
If you selected a standard schedule to show compliance, blocks are displayed in green (compliant) or red (not compliant).
Block height illustrates the schedule block duration. Block width illustrates the number of class meetings in the schedule block.
When standard meeting patterns are being used, you would hope to see a distinct separation between the rows of schedule blocks. A block that overlaps other schedule blocks of the same duration on the Y-axis may indicate a scheduling problem for students ("bracket-busting time") and a room availability problem for schedulers.
- Download a list of the results in Excel format using the Export button. This will download just the classes currently listed on the right-hand side of the chart.
- The top of the right-hand panel lists the start and end time of the selected block.
- At the bottom of the right-hand panel, if the class list is too long for the panel view, selecting SHOW OTHERS will expand the list and allow you to scroll through to the end.
Use the Freeze option to lock mouseover results in place and make it easier to select classes on the right-hand side.
Assessing the Report Results
- What does the report show you about the distribution of class meetings by day?
- Does the distribution of class meeting schedule blocks match your expectations?
- Are most of your classes compliant with your schedule standards/goals?
- Where is there an opportunity for improvement?