Verifying that all relevant sections imported correctly (along with any location assignments in the SIS) is critical to successful scheduling. Always check and address your import messages immediately after importing sections for the first time in a term, and continue to do so as part of your regular routine throughout the year.
Broadly speaking, import errors and warnings are usually resolved with one of the following actions:
- Ensure that your 25Live cabinets are set up according to best practices.
- Verify that all your academic data fields in the SIS are mapped appropriately in Series25. (This may involve translation tables.)
- Adjust your LYNX configuration settings to match expected behavior.
- Create bindings between sections that are allowed to double-book their locations.
For instructions on handling specific errors and warnings, see Import and Export Messages in LYNX.
Where to view messages?
There are three main ways to review import messages:
Read Them Directly in LYNX
When an import begins, you can monitor its progress on the Import Details page. As each "chunk" of 500 sections completes its import, you can view their messages. When all are done, click View All Messages to go to the Import/Export Messages page to view them all at once.
This page has a summary of all the error and warning messages encountered during this import, with the names of all the sections affected.
Lower down, you can browse the imported sections to see all the messages associated with each one.
The tables on this page can be downloaded as Excel spreadsheets.
When you follow the View All Details link from the Import Details page, the URL contains the import ID which you can send to Series25 Technical Support if you need their assistance in troubleshooting.
Download The Excel Report
Although you can download the import messages from LYNX, some users prefer to use a similar spreadsheet from 25Live Reports. This report splits Info, Warning, and Error messages into multiple tabs and provides a few more fields for filtering.
- Choose Reports from the More menu in the upper right of 25Live or LYNX.
- Select Event Reports and choose SIS Import Messages - Excel from the dropdown menu.
- Select report parameters based on the date/time range and message types you want to view, then click Run Report.
- Once the import messages are displayed in your local spreadsheet, you can do whatever you like with the data (filter columns, sort, etc.)
Read Messages From Emails
LYNX can deliver import messages over email. To receive these emails, configure the corresponding option in LYNX Settings - General.
When you receive emails, they won't contain the messages directly. Instead, they have a link to view them in your browser.
Note that you receive a separate email for each "chunk" of 500 sections, each with its own link. If your import has multiple chunks (as is the case when you import a whole term all at once) then you might be better off using one of the other methods on this page. Email alerts are best for the import messages which appear day-to-day as a result of transactional updates.
Tip: LYNX Event Naming Conventions
LYNX applies a naming convention to exam events:
- If created as a separate events, imported exams will always have ‘SFX’ in their Alien UID
- Other created exams will have “FX” in their ID