The Location Inventory report presents the snapshot's locations in a bar chart that can be grouped and sorted without considering any assignments to events.
This report is a quick way to see the total number of locations available in your snapshot based on several characteristics.
Questions that the Location Distribution report can help answer include:
- How many rooms do you have of each size?
- What size classrooms do you have the most of? The fewest?
- What's the dispersion of department-controlled vs. centrally scheduled classrooms?
- Is the inventory a good match for what you know of class/event sizes and curriculum needs?
The values displayed in the bar chart are influenced by several settings:
- Sort By orders the bars are according to the names of each group or their total size.
- Group By determines what group of locations each bar of the chart represents.
- All: Every location in one bar
- Individual Room: Every location, separated by room
- Organization: The "owner" of the location (determined by the custom location attribute "X25 Owner Organization" in 25Live).
- Capacity: The maximum capacity of the location (no layout capacity considered).
- Building: The location's building.
- Room Use Code: The code for the location's "room type", typically matching FICM (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual) standards.
- Partition: The location's partition.
- Breakpoints: Standard: Determined by predefined breakpoint lists for capacity.
- Size By sets what the size of each bar on the chart measures, either the number of locations in a group or their total capacity. The chart's axis automatically scales appropriately.
- Orientation arranges the bars from top to bottom or left to right.
- Limit: Determines how many groups of events appear as bars in the report.
- Selecting Show Top Residual or Show Bottom Residual will display the top/bottom remaining groups, combined into a single bar
Reading the Report
Report data is displayed in bar chart format:
- One axis shows the total room inventory supply, measured as the total number of locations or their total capacity.
- The other axis shows the locations in the snapshot. They can be grouped in several different ways, described above.
Assessing the Report Results
- What's the report showing you about room supply?
- What's unexpected about your results?
- Does your inventory match your expectations and what you know of class requirements?