To access Event Save Email configurations, users will need the following permission in place for their security group in Group Administration: Admin: 17.0 Update Event Creation and Editing Configurations = Yes
Note: This Feature Was Previously a Part of BPEs
This feature is a partial replacement for the features that were included in business process extensions (BPEs), but with improved functionality and an easier, more convenient interface.
Event Save Email allows 25Live administrators to set up scenarios outlining the rules under which custom emails will be sent. Once you specify all your desired parameters, you can choose or create email templates, including report attachments. One or more emails can be triggered upon event save, either when creating or editing.
For example, you can create the following complex email triggers with just one scenario and two templates.
- A member of the Requestor - Faculty and Staff Edits an event
- With Event Type Meeting
- And the Event State is Confirmed
- Send the email template with the Occurrence List to the Scheduler
- And email the Requestor the Confirmation Report
How to Create a Scenario
1. Go to the System Settings view, and access the Event Save Email section
After logging into 25Live as an administrator or user with permissions to access System Settings (-1), open the More menu in the top navigation bar.
Use the menu link to go to the System Settings view, then tap or click on Event Save Email to reveal the section.
2. Select Scenario Settings from the left-hand menu of the Event Save Email section.
3. Copy an existing scenario or create a new one
If you'd like to use one of your existing scenarios as a base to create a new scenario, select the Copy button in the row of the existing scenario you'd like to copy. Most scenario information fields will populate for you to edit in your new copy.
Otherwise, to create a new scenario, select the Add Scenario button.
4. Name the scenario, activate it, and choose triggering actions
Enter a name into the Scenario Name field. If copying from an existing scenario, remove the name that was automatically added and enter a new, unique scenario name.
Set the Active toggle to Yes. An active scenario will trigger an email if it matches the actions and criteria for an event. You may also set the trigger to No if you are drafting it for later use.
Next, choose when you want to trigger the sending email(s) with the Send Email On choices. Choose from:
- Event Creation
- Event Edit (includes inline editing of Event State from Event Details)
Tip: Allowing Silent Save in Event Configurations to Reduce Emails
If you set your scenario to Send Email On "Event Edit," then you should consider using the "Allow Silent Save" option in Event Configurations in order to prevent too many emails from going out unnecessarily.
Last, you can choose how to Send Email From with options to have the email trigger from actions in the:
- Event Form (saving an event)
- Event State Dropdown (when edited from the Event Details view)
- Note: When editing, this choice corresponds to the Event State saved after edit.
- Express Scheduling
- Tasks Page
- Cancel Request - (if a user without ability to edit the event state requests cancellation from the Event Details)
5. Complete or edit criteria fields
Use the dropdown menus under Criteria and complete the parameters listed for each. Use the "X" icons to the right when you wish to remove criteria.
Optional scenario criteria include:
- Event States (includes inline editing from Event Details)
- Note: This choice corresponds to the Event State saved after creation or edit.
- Pre Event States
- Tip: This state is useful if you would like to receive an email when an event moves from the Confirmed state to the Cancelled state, however you may not wish to receive an email if the cancelled event is edited.
- Event Types
- Locations (the event was requested for)
- Resources (the event was requested with)
- Primary Organizations
- Security Groups (of the user that will be taking the action when the email is triggered)
- Custom Attributes
When Will the Scenario Trigger an Email?
If no top-level field (Event State, Event Type, Location, Resource, etc.) is selected, that field will not limit the rules and will match for ANY value. A single criterion for a field will also match.
If multiple criteria are selected within a field (such as specific locations within the Locations field), then AT LEAST ONE of the choices need to be met for the email to trigger.
Example Criteria and How They Will Process
Example 1: No Event Type, One Location, Multiple Resources
Example 2: Multiple Security Groups, No Other Criteria
Example 3: Multiple Selections in All Types of Fields
Example 4: Email Send Based On Location Approval in Tasks
Note: Event Preferences Can Be Included
When adding Locations and Resources to be a part of the criteria for a scenario, each section also has a No/Yes toggle available to Include Location Preferences and/or to Include Resource Preferences. These are the event preferences defined in an event's details view in the "Occurrences" section as preferred. See Viewing Event Details.
6. Add Email Template(s)
If you already have email templates created in your library, use the Select Templates button to check which template(s) you want to send using the criteria in this scenario. When a scenario is triggered with matching rules, 25Live will send all emails specified in the Templates section. Specific templates may be restricted by security group in the Series25 Group Administration tool.
Tip: A Scenario Can Trigger Multiple Emails
If you wish to send more than one email using the rules in your scenario, you have that option. For example, you could send one email template to the event requestor and a different template to the event scheduler.
If you don't have any email templates in your library, use the Create New Template button.
Read Details About Creating and Editing Templates
If you need to edit an existing email template, go back to System Settings > Event Save Email > Template Settings.
Note: For Experts, Advanced Editing Is Also Available With Code View
- If you wish to go back, a Form View button will be available. This will generate a message indicating that changes that weren't saved while in Code View will be reverted.
Code View is available for technical experts who know how to write code. Troubleshooting these customizations in this advanced mode is beyond the scope of our technical support.
7. Preview your scenario and template(s) (optional)
Note: Previews Need Appropriate Actions
Because you will use an existing (not new) event in the preview, it will only trigger for scenarios with the Send Email On action set to Event Edit or Both.
25Live gives you the opportunity to preview your scenario using an internal Event Reference ID, which is in the format of:
Six uppercase letters
When you preview from within a scenario, 25Live will first check if the event meets the criteria and then display any email(s) with the content that would be sent.
Tip: How to Find an Event Reference
- Search for or go to a favorited event. (See topics on Searching and Favorites)
- Go to the event details. (See Viewing Event Details)
- Scroll to the Event Info section in the right-hand column.
8. Save the scenario
Use the Save button to save your completed Event Save Email Scenario.
From here, you can also delete the scenario if necessary or cancel, which will remove all choices.
Warning: Saving a Blank Scenario
If you save a blank scenario (one with no triggering actions or criteria), it will fire upon every event save and edit. While you could use this as a feature to send a standard success message, please ensure you don't save a blank scenario accidentally without a planned expectation.
Editing or Deleting a Scenario
You can access your library of Event Save Email scenarios in System Settings > Event Save Email > Scenario Settings. All previously created scenarios are displayed in alphabetical order. Choose a scenario from the table and select the associated Edit button. Then, follow the same steps as used in How to Create a Scenario section above.
From here, you can also delete the scenario using the Delete button.