Which versions of Series25 components are you using?
These articles have been prepared for schools using 25Live Pro and 25Live Publisher.
Defining the Featured Event Custom Field in 25Live Publisher
Often you will have major events that you want to feature on your calendars. The ability to feature events relies on creating a featured events custom field. This custom field will serve two purposes:
- Giving you the ability to display featured events in published calendars that use List or Classic Tables view.
- Letting you define the number of featured levels you want to use.
By defining a featured events custom field, you have the ability to have one featured level or as many featured levels as you need. Different feature levels allow you to feature different events with different settings in 25Live Publisher.
The featured levels correspond to layouts in 25Live Publisher. Events you feature at one level will look different than events in another feature level. This means that you may apply different stylistic settings when using multiple levels for featured events.
One Featured Events Custom Field per Account
You may only have one featured events custom field per account. This means that you can use only one set of featured event levels across all of your calendars within your Publisher account. You may still add as many new featured levels as needed for different calendars allowing for the use of different featured levels for different calendars.
Creating a Featured Events Custom Field
To create a Featured Events Custom Field in 25Live Publisher:
- Locate Other Tasks and click the link to Define custom fields.
- On the Define custom fields page, click on the Create a new field link.
- The Create a new field page has a number fields you will need to complete including the Field Name, the Field Type, the Templates with which you want to use this new custom field, and an Owning Calendar. Begin by entering a value in the Field Name textbox.
- The Description field is optional as it will have no effective functionality but can serve as a reminder of what it does if you are reviewing the list of Custom Fields in 25Live Publisher.
- In the Field Type drop-down list, choose List of choices: Featured Levels.
- Choosing List of choices: Featured Levels opens up a new field editor of Possible choices. Select the radio button for either Include all values or Include selected values.
- Click the link for Add New Value to begin building values for your Featured Events custom field.
In the Add New 'Featured Level' Value page, enter a value for the Featured Levels name and a description in the Featured Level Description text box. The Description is optional but can serve as a guide for future Publisher designers at your campus. Once you have completed adding your featured level value, click the OK button to return to the Create a New Custom Field page.
Adding Multiple Featured Level Values
It is possible to add a list of Featured Level Values all at once by selecting the Add Multiple Values option. This choice will open a text editor box below the link which requires a comma-separated list of values. Once you have added your multiple values, click the Save Values button.
After saving the values in your comma-separated list, your new values will appear in your list of Possible choices and will be checked by default.
- You will need to place a check in the checkbox of any of the Possible choices you want to make available as part of the Featured Level field in 25Live.
- Set the Select multiple values radio button for No if it is not already selected. For your Featured Level field to work in 25Live, you will only be able to enter one featured level.
- Leave the Display style setting to Drop Down. The drop-down will only function on the 25Live Publisher side. In 25Live, we will use a Text field to enter the value we wish to use for our featured event.
- Leave the Default value(s) setting Blank.
- Also, leave the Value required radio button for No selected as we do not want all events to be featured in some fashion.
- Next, you will need to select which Templates (Event Types) on which you want the Featured Level field to be included. In all likelihood, you will want it to be available on all event templates so you would select the All link to add checkboxes to all of the event templates. If on the other hand you want to limit this field to certain templates, click the checkbox beside each template.
- Select the Owning calendar for this field. Your choice among your calendars will not matter here as we will build a custom attribute in 25Live that will supply a value for any events we want to feature. The Templates will take care of making that field available to all of our various calendars.
- Finally, make sure that the Visibility setting for Allow this field to be published is checked so that the field will be visible on the event templates then click the OK button.
- The new Featured Events field is now available in the list of Fields.
- The Featured Events field will now appear in the Event Templates of all the event templates you checked in the Create a New Custom Field page.
Next, you will need to go create a new Custom Attribute named Featured Events in the 25Live System Settings.
Defining the Featured Event Custom Field in 25Live Pro
You will also need to define the Featured Event Custom Field in 25Live Pro and then attach the Featured Event custom attribute to each of your event types. Since you may have multiple featured levels on your Featured Event custom attribute, you will likely want to create this field in 25Live Pro's System Settings.
To create the Featured Event custom attribute in 25Live Pro:
- Navigate to System Settings → Master Definitions.
- Make sure that the Event Custom Attributes tab is active.
- Select the Data Type of Text and click the Create New button.
- Locate your newly created custom attribute in the event custom attributes.
- Click the edit icon to open up the text editor and rename your field, Featured Event and click the Save button.
- Locate the Discrete Options column for this event custom attribute and click the Show button.
- The Discrete Options dialog box will open. Click the Add Option button to begin adding your featured levels Make sure that your featured levels here match the featured levels you created in 25Live Publisher.
- Keep adding options until you have the same set of featured levels in 25Live Pro that you earlier created in 25Live Publisher. If you want to alphabetize your list, use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to reposition the discrete options. When you have built all of your featured levels, click the Save button.
- Use the drag and drop functionality in System Settings to drag the new Featured Event custom attribute in line with your other calendar-related custom attributes and click the Save Sort button.
- You have now successfully built the Featured Event Field in both 25Live Publisher and 25Live Pro.
Attaching the Featured Event Custom Attribute to Event Types
Before you can use this event custom attribute with your events, you need to attach it to all your event types in the 25Live System Settings. Since not every event may be featured (although you can design a calendar that does), you will want to make sure that this event custom attribute is attached to your event types and not part of any rules where there was a required question.
- Navigate to System Settings → Master Definitions → Event Types → List. Toggle Event Types List to List View.
- Select an Event Type from the list.
- Scroll down to Custom Attributes and click the Select Custom Attributes button to make modifications.
- Select the Featured Event custom attribute to add to your event type and press Done.
- Save your changes.
You have now successfully built the Featured Event custom attribute in both 25Live Publisher and 25Live Pro. You will need to add the Featured Event custom attribute on some of your events and set a featured level before your featured events will start showing up.